Sunday, June 23, 2013

Sunny Scarf Day

This weekend has been absolutely gorgeous - warm, sunny, clear - perfect. So yesterday, I decided that I should celebrate the lovely weather with a little trip out to Brookline Village, to visit a new-to-me yarn store, A Good Yarn. It was quite a quick little trip, actually, and I even got exercise by walking down to the Hynes T stop so I wouldn't have to change trains. Anyway, the yarn store was absolutely lovely, with a great selection. I had fun giving a new knitter tips on what yarns to start with and how to get enough to make a scarf. I'm pretty sure she ended up going away with some Cascade 220, the ultimate beginner's yarn (at least in my book - there's nothing better to start on).

And what did I go away with?
The picture is dark, but that's four skeins of Karabella Aurora 8, in color 16 (a rusty orange color, doesn't appear to have a name) and two skeins of KPPPM, in a beautiful, muted green/brown colorway. (Masculine, eh? Someone I know is getting socks!) Yum. I could have spent a LOT of money in that store, let me tell you, but I was good, and both of these selections have projects attached. The Koigu will become socks (although I'm not sure what pattern - can anyone recommend a good, masculine pattern that would look good in Koigu?) and the Karabella is going to be some kind of scarf, though I'm not sure what kind yet. I thought perhaps the Annie Modesitt leaf scarf from Scarf Style, since that's actually the same kind of yarn, but now I'm thinking something simpler, maybe something cabled.
In the meantime, though, I have started another project. A red scarf, for the Red Scarf Project! This came in the mail yesterday morning:
Yarn from the new Knit Picks line! That's four skeins of Wool of the Andes in Blueberry, four skeins of Merino Style in Maple Leaf and two skeins of Sock Garden in New England Foliage. (Why, yes, I have been on a bit of a yarn-buying binge lately, why do you ask? I promise, I'm done now - at least for a while.) I haven't checked out the WOTA (destined to become a felted bag project that's percolating in my head) or the Sock Garden (although it's very soft), but by the end of last night, the first skein of Merino Style had become ...
A very sweet, mock-cable ribbed scarf! Or, six inches of one. I pored through my 365-knitting stitches calendar and found this mini-cable that's actually not cabled at all, and it seemed perfect.

No comments:

Post a Comment